A disorderly Mill End alehouse in 1588

In 1588 27 residents from various parts of┬áthe old parish petitioned JPs Sir Charles Morison and Francis Heydon about the alehouse in Mill End run by Richard Heyward. Poor men were wasting their time and money there, so that their families were suffering. By investigating the identities of the petitioners, JPs and alehouse-keeper it isContinue reading “A disorderly Mill End alehouse in 1588”

Arson attack on St Mary’s, Rickmansworth, in 1522

We know from various surviving wills from the early sixteenth century that many parishioners bequeathed money towards candles, or new items of plate, or vestments. A few, however, did not respect the building or the way in which religion was practised there. Indeed, a serious arson attack was committed in 1522, destroying the rood loft,Continue reading “Arson attack on St Mary’s, Rickmansworth, in 1522”